Disputing Credit Report Errors

If something on your credit report doesn’t appear accurate, contact the credit bureau that issued it right away. You have the right to dispute any errors under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).

By law, the bureau must investigate your complaint and correct or remove any inaccurate information, usually within a period of 30 days. The bureau must also send a revised credit report to anyone who asked for a copy in the past 6 months. Plus, at your request, it must also send a revised report to potential employers who have requested it within the last 2 years.

To dispute inaccurate information, you must explain the errors in writing. View a sample dispute letter.

Here are a few helpful pointers to keep in mind when submitting a dispute:

  • Include copies of documents that support your position.
  • Include a copy of your credit report and highlight the inaccurate information.
  • Keep copies of your letter and all enclosures for yourself.
  • Submit your information online or send by certified mail and retain your receipts.

If you disagree with the bureau’s conclusion, you can ask them to include your statement of the dispute in future credit reports.